Andy Lee-Billy Joe Saunders postponed again

01/09/2015 18:15

Andy Lee's WBO middleweight title defence against Billy Joe Saunders on October 10 in Manchester, has been postponed for a second time after the challenger suffered a cut eye in sparring.

The fight had already been rescheduled from September 19 in Limerick, when Lee picked up a virus last month that disrupted his preparation, and now it is off again due to the injury to Saunders.

"First of all I'm sorry to Andy and all the fans that this fight has had to be postponed again," said Saunders. "It's completely unfortunate that I got a cut during a sparring session, but there's nothing I can do now until the specialist advises me on when I can resume training and fight again.

"It's just a very frustrating situation at the moment as myself and Andy just want to get in the ring and fight after all the delays."

Lee said: "Hugely disappointed for myself and for the boxing public. These things happen. Me and Billy Joe Saunders will get it on when the new date is set."

The card at the Manchester Arena will still go on and local boy Terry Flanagan will move into the main event as he makes his first defence of the WBO lightweight title against Diego Magdaleno. Also Liam Smith faces John Thompson for the vacant WBO light-middleweight belt.

Promoter Frank Warren said: "It's a real shame that Billy has been forced out of the fight because of a cut and we await the report from the specialists so that we can look to reschedule the fight as soon as possible for the fans. Whilst Saunders versus Lee has fallen through, there are two thrilling world title fights on the show with Terry Flanagan facing a dangerous first defence against tough American Diego Magdaleno, and Liam Smith has a big test against American upsetter John Thompson.
"It's a disappointment, but I'm very optimistic that the show is still one of the best of the year, if not the best, with a top class lineup."