Burns confirmed at Matchroom

11/03/2013 15:18

WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns (35-2) has signed a promotional deal with Matchroom and will make his debut for them on May 11 in Glasgow.

Burns follows Commonwealth super middleweight champion George Groves in making the switch as Eddie Hearn looks to be building a formidable stable.

"I'm delighted that my future has been resolved and I'm really looking forward to the next chapter of my career. It's been a frustrating time since the Kevin Mitchell win in September but now I'm just focused on May 11 and putting in a great performance." Said Burns.

It seems certain Frank Warren wil not take the Burns departure lying down. Despite dropping legal action against Tony Bellew, who made a similar switch last year, the 61-year-old has no such plans this time.

Warren said "I was persuaded by others in my company not to bother about Bellew, who is hardly the biggest deal out there, but if Hearn is reading that as a sign of weakness he isvery mistaken. They go ahead with this and I'll sue for substantial damages. I offered Ricky and his manager an improved contract but they did not sign and returned it. While this was pending he was paid a large part of his purse for his latest fight. Now, and I'm sorry it's come to this because I've always liked him, I'm setting off the remainder against what he owes me as his joint manager. I have never taken my management cut off him before but I will now."
But Hearn is confident he has a watertight case and expects to add another fighter to is stable this week.

"I'm delighted to welcome the WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns to the team." Said Hearn.