Canelo and Chavez Jr to clash on May 6
In an all Mexican mega-fight, two-weight world champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) will fight former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr (50-2-1, 32 KOs) on May 6.
The scheduled 12-round bout - taking place on the Mexican holiday weekend of Cinco de Mayo - has been contracted at a catchweight of 164.5 pounds. The venue is still to be determined but it looks likely to be at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
The 26-year-old Canelo defeated Britain's Liam Smith by KO in the 9th round last September in his most recent fight to win the WBO light middleweight title, while Chavez, 30, the son of Mexican legend Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, is coming off a unanimous decision victory over German fighter Dominik Britsch in December.
Canelo hasn’t yet made a decision on whether he will vacate his 154-pound world title but facing the bigger Chavez, who comes down from 168, will be a good way to prepare for a fight with WBA/IBF/WBC 160-pound champion Gennady Golovkin, likely in September.
Despite previously winning a world title at middleweight, Canelo has never before boxed above 155.
"I'm excited to announce my fight against Julio Cesar Chávez Jr and confirm that I will be prepared, like I've been throughout my career, to give a great fight," said Canelo.
"I want to remind you that when two Mexican fighters face-off, a spectacular show is guaranteed.
"It's personal for me. He has talked bad about me for so many years. I want to shut him up."
Chavez said: "I dedicate this fight to Mexico. I'm going to win, but my country will too because this is the fight that boxing needs."
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said: "Canelo, the biggest star in boxing, will take on not only a former world champion in Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, but the son of the biggest star in the history of boxing in Mexico.
"Add in 98 victories and 66 knockouts between these two superstars along with a Cinco de Mayo fight date, and you have a can't-miss battle."