Fans file lawsuit against injured Pacquiao

06/05/2015 09:03

Manny Pacquiao faces a class-action lawsuit over his failure to disclose a shoulder injury before his fight against Floyd Mayweather.

Nevada residents Stephane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran are said to be suing on behalf of ticket buyers, television viewers and gamblers.

They are seeking more than $5m (£3.2m) from Pacquiao, his manager Michael Koncz, his promotional company Top Rank, its chairman Bob Arum and its president Todd duBoef for fraudulently concealing the Filipino's injury before Saturday's fight in Las Vegas.

The lawsuit read: "Defendants prior to and at the time the plaintiffs and the class decided to purchase tickets; purchase pay per view showings or wagered on the event the defendants knew and had full knowledge and information that defendant Pacquiao had been seriously injured and was suffering from a torn rotator cuff.
"Defendants further know that such injury would severely affect his performance."

This comes after Nevada Athletic Chairman Francisco Aguilar said that the attorney general's office would look into why Pacquiao marked no on a form asking whether he had a shoulder injury one day before the bout. Pacquiao could now face a fine or suspension.

But a joint statement released by Team Pacquiao and his promoters, Top Rank, said the United States Anti-Doping Agency  (Usada) had been notified about it during the fighter's training camp and on the night of the bout.

They added that a Usada doctor sanctioned the use of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory on fight night only for the Nevada Commission to refuse it because they were unaware of the shoulder injury.

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache said Pacquiao will undergo surgery to repair a rotator cuff tear that could put him out of action for at least nine months.