Gennady Golovkin-Martin Murray confirmed for February 21
Gennady Golovkin (31-0, 28 KOs) will defend his WBA, IBO and interim WBC Middleweight titles against Britain's Martin Murray (29-1-1, 12 KOs) on February 21 at Salle des etoiles in Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Murray won a seventh-round technical decision against Italy's Domenico Spada on Saturday, also in Monte Carlo, to set up a shot at the undefeated Kazakh fighter.
Golovkin is coming off a two round distruction of Marco Antonio Rubio earlier this month and has now scored 18 knockouts in a row, made 12 title defences and is one of the most feared punchers in boxing with the highest knockout ratio of any active world champion (90.3 %).
Murray attempts to become world champion for a third time following a disputed draw with Felix Sturm for the WBA middleweight title in Germany in 2011 and then losing a close decision to Sergio Martinez for the WBC strap in Argentina in 2013. But he has since won four fights in a row and is regarded Golovkin's toughest challenge to date due to his size, strength, defence and he is battle-tested against quality opponents.
"I think he's a top fighter," said Murray. "He's crushed everybody he's been in with, but I've got the tools to beat any middleweight out there. I wouldn't be taking the fight if I didn't think I could win. A lot of his opponents have gone into the fight already beat. You won't get that with me. I'm gonna go in there and stand up to him."
"I think this fight with Murray is a good fight for us," said Golovkin. "We couldn't get Chavez Jr., Miguel Cotto or Canelo to fight us next. So Murray is the best available opponent for me."