Golovkin to fight Marco Antonio Rubio on October 18

19/08/2014 13:54

WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs) will defend his title against Mexico's Marco Antonio Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KOs) on October 18 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

While Golovkin was seeking a unification fight, the IBF titleholder Sam Soliman is set to fight Jermain Taylor, WBO titlist Peter Quillin is defending next against Matt Korobov and WBC titleholder Miguel Cotto apparently not interested, the Kazakh born fighter will have to settle for veteran middleweight fringe contender Rubio.

“I’m very excited to fight in California,” said Golovkin. “I always enjoy attending fights at the StubHub Center and look forward to a “Mexican Style” fight against Marco Antonio Rubio.”

This will be Rubio's third shot at world honours, having been stopped after nine rounds against Kelly Pavlik in 2009, and then dropping a decision to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr over two years ago.

Although it was a more competitive fight with Chavez and since then he has won all his last six fights.  In his last outing he stopped Italian veteran Dominic Spada in the 10th round in April winning the WBC interim middleweight title.

“I’m excited to fight another world champion," said Rubio. "I always accept the biggest challenges and without a doubt this will be the greatest of my career. I will show Golovkin a real “Mexican Style” fight on October 18th.”

Golovkin stopped two-time former world champion Daniel Geale in the third round in his last outing. Thus making his 11th title defense while scoring his 17th knockout in a row.