Manny Pacquiao to return against Jessie Vargas on November 5

10/08/2016 08:28

Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) will be returning to the ring to fight WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) on November 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao, a eight-division world champion, had said he would retire to focus on his political career after winning a unanimous decision against American Timothy Bradley in April.

But the 37-year-old Filipino, who was elected to the Philippine Senate in May, has opted to continue fighting.

"Yes, the fight is on. I have agreed to a November 5 fight with reigning WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas," said Pacquiao.

"Boxing is my passion. I miss what I'd been doing inside the gym and atop the ring.

"Boxing is my main source of income. I can't rely on my salary as a public official.
"I'm helping the family of my wife and my own family, as well. Many people also come to me to ask for help and I just couldn't ignore them."

Pacquiao said he would return to the Philippines straight after promoting the fight to fulfil his political duties.

Vargas will be making his first title defence after a 9th round knockout over previously undefeated Sadam Ali to win the vacant belt in March.

"I am happy to be scheduled to fight Pacquiao. He is a fighter that the fans respect and admire," said the 27-year-old American. "That's exactly what I want, and beating him will put me in that position. To prove that I am the best I have to beat the best and I plan on showing off my talent and ability inside that ring on November 5. It will be my coming out party. I hope that the fans really enjoy our fight."