Matthysse eyes Mayweather

04/08/2013 15:47

Lucas Matthysse (34-2) sounded upbeat and excited after his September 14 clash with Danny Garcia (26-0) was confirmed for the undercard of Floyd Mayweather-Saul "Canelo" Alvarez at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas.

The Argentine banger had already been in training for a few weeks at his base in Junín, Buenos Aires, when he got word that his American rival had accepted terms for one of boxing's most eagerly awaited encounters.

"I'm very happy that the fight was made, I'm looking forward to it," said Matthysse.

"It seems like he (Garcia) was avoiding me a little bit. And even now they're putting things in the way. They want me to fly over for a press tour, they've asked for extra anti-doping tests, but I feel good and I'm training hard. Whenever I look on the internet, it seems like it's always Garcia's father (Angel Garcia, trainer and father of Danny) who's talking, Garcia himself doesn't say much. He can carry on talking but on September 14 his son will be the only one in the ring with me."

Lucas will have a keen eye on the main event of the evening as he could face the winner between Mayweather and Alvarez.

"They've said that I could fight Floyd Mayweather next if I win, that's an extra motivation. Let's hope that happens. Mayweather will beat Canelo if it goes to points but watch out for Canelo. He boxes well at distance, and he's clever. I'm expecting a good fight."