Galahad decisions Prado to capture European title

23/03/2014 07:34

Kid Galahad (16-0) captured the vacant European super-bantamweight title with a lopsided points victory on Saturday night over Sergio Prado (9-4-1) at Ponds Forge in Sheffield.


The home-town favourite, who was fighting at the same venue at which Prince Naseem Hamed won the European title 20 years ago, was given a wide unanimous decision after being almost completely untroubled over the 12 rounds.

Although he failed to record the knockout he looked capable of at certain points during the fight, the judges’ scores of 117-111, 118-110 and 120-108 ensured he improved his professional record to 16-0.

“I thought I boxed very well - we knew the kid was tough, he came to fight and I give him full credit,” Galahad told Channel 5.

“He was tougher than (last opponent) Jazza Dickens, he’s a 31-year-old mature man. I knew it was going to be a hard fight, that’s why I trained my hardest.”

Galahad began the fight on the front foot and asserted his dominance early on by getting the better of the opening exchanges, although he was caught by a good right hand in round two.

But apart from that fleeting moment of success, Prado had no answer to his opponent’s speed and switch hitting.

By the fifth the Spaniard was struggling to find any success at all as Galahad continued to come forward, dictating affairs behind a solid jab from both stances.

Prado was staggered by a right hook in the seventh and sent reeling back into the ropes at the end of the round but managed to stay on his feet.

Galahad continued his complete domination for the remainder of the fight, hitting his opponent with a number of combinations in round 11 which again hurt Prado.

Although Prado touched the canvas on numerous occasions after being pushed down by Galahad, he did not have a clean knockdown scored against him during the fight.

Also on the card, Light heavyweight contender Travis Dickinson stopped Danny McIntosh in the third round to progress to the semi-finals of the MaxiNutrition Knockout tournament and win the vacant English title.

McIntosh was knocked down in the first round after taking a straight right hand to the top of the end but recovered to land some decent shots of his own before the bell sounded.

Dickinson continued to tee off with the right hand in the second round, although McIntosh was still getting though with his fair share of power punches.

But McIntosh was put down again, this time in much heavier fashion, after being drilled with an overhand right in the third round and although he beat the count a short left soon put him back on the canvas.

He managed to get back up for a third time but was on rubbery legs and referee Terry O'Connor waved the fight off.

"After the first round I knew (the knockout) was going to come, it was just a matter of when," Dickinson told Channel 5.

"It was just a matter of keeping boxing, not losing my head and everything went to plan - I boxed really well."

The win sets up a clash with Matty Clarkson in the last four after the Central Area champion defeated Lee Duncan on points in the night's other quarter-final.

In a much cagier contest than the brawl between McIntosh and Dickinson, Clarkson stretched out a lead on the scorecards over the first half of the fight.

Home-town fighter Duncan did finish strongly, catching his opponent with a couple of good shots in the final round, but was too far behind to turn things around.

At the conclusion of the 10 rounds, Clarkson was favoured 97-94 on the referee's scorecard.