Garcia sinks Salka in two

10/08/2014 07:32

WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (29-0, 17 KOs) knocked out his overmatched opponent Rod Salka (19-4, 3 KOs) in the second round on Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Garcia knocked Salka down three times in the second round.  Knocking him out with a crunching left hook as the referee did not even bother to count and halted the fight at 2:31 of the round.

The fight was not sanctioned by either the WBA or WBC because Salka usually fights as a lightweight and is not in the top 50 at light-welterweight.

Garcia was considerably bigger than Salka. It looked like Salka didn’t belong in the same ring with Garcia both in size and skill.

Garcia nailed Salka with a huge right hand to the head that had Salka out on his feet. He then hit him with a grazing right hand that dropped him.

 When the action resumed, Garcia clubbed Salka with a right hand to the head that put him down for the second knockdown.  

He got to his feet at the count of 9 but he wouldn't be there long. Moments later a left hook landed, flattening Salka and at that point the referee waived the fight off at the same time that Salka’s corner threw in the towel to have the fight halted.

Garcia said: “I came here to purge. I told everybody, tonight was going to be the Danny Garcia show. No matter who I fought tonight, they were going to get beat. I was going to purge."

Also on the card, IBF light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson (33-2-1, 17 KOs) stopped Edgar Santana (29-5, 20 KOs) in the 10th round.

Peterson had far too much for Santana, he unloaded on him continually with body attacks and chopping power shots upstairs.

 There were no knockdowns in the fight but Peterson outworked him in every round.

The fight should have been stopped by the 5th given the amount of punishment Santana was taking. Finally in round 10, with Peterson landing freely to the head and body, the ringside physician signaled that he wanted the fight to be stopped. So referee Pete Santiago halted it at 2:48 of the round.

Local hero Danny “Miracle Man” Jacobs (28-1, 25 KOs) halted Australian Jarrod Fletcher (18-2, 10 KOs) in the 5th round to capture the vacant WBA middleweight title.

Jacobs started strong and dropped Fletcher with a big left hook to the head in the first round. However, he didn’t come close to putting his opponent down again until round 5. A hard left hook staggered Fletcher before Jacobs then followed after him with a barrage of shots until dropping him with a right hand to the head. The fight was then stopped by referee Michael Griffin at 2:58 of the round.

"It feels so great to win this belt, the greatest moment in my life," said Jacobs, who has completed his fairytale comeback from life-threatening bone cancer.

Other results on the card:

Marcus Browne W Paul Vasquez TKO 1

Sadam Ali W Jeremy Bryan SD 10

Anthony Peterson W Edgar Riovalle KO 1

Prichard Colon W Lenwood Dozier UD 6

Zachary Ochoa W Luis Alberto Cervantes UD 6

D'Mitrius Ballard W Barry Trotter TKO 1