Golovkin outguns Monroe, Gonzalez hammers Sosa

17/05/2015 07:44

Gennady Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs) stopped Willie Monroe Jr (19-2, 6 KOs) in the 6th round to retain his WBA and WBC interim middleweight titles on Saturday night at the Forum in Inglewood, California.

The Kazakh puncher dropped the American challenger three times on the way to scoring his 20th straight stoppage, which is the highest knockout percentage in middleweight title history.

Golovkin came out strong in the first round, landing some hard shots, backing Monroe up, and then, midway through the second round he sent the southpaw to the canvas with a left hook to the head. Monroe got up on shaky legs and tried to fire back but he was down again moments later with a big right hand. However, Monroe was able to survive and fought back well in rounds three to five, even outlanding the champion. But Golovkin was always landing the harder shots and the knockout seemed inevitable. And it came in the sixth, following a flurry of punches that floored Monroe for a third time. He got back up at the count of 9, but then told referee Jack Reiss, "I'm done," and the bout was halted at 0:45 of the round.

"It was a good big drama show," said Golovkin. "I was happy with my performance. Willie is a very tough fighter. I felt very strong tonight."

With the win, Golovkin retained his world title for the 14th time, tying Carlos Monzon at second place in middleweight history. Bernard Hopkins holds the division record with 20 defences.

Golovkin, who has been unable to get a top fighter in the ring with him, called out WBC champion Miguel Cotto and Mexican star Canelo Alvarez after the victory. "I want Cotto or Canelo now. Let's go, let's do it guys," he said.

Also on the card, WBC flyweight champion Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (43-0, 37 KOs) scored a devastating second round stoppage over Mexican veteran Edgar Sosa (51-8, 30 KOs).

(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill). Roman Gonzalez, left, of Nicaragua, connects with Edgar Sosa, of Mexico, during a WBC flyweight world championship bout, Saturday, May 16, 2015, in Inglewood, Calif.

The Nicaragua fighter overpowered the challenger from the beginning, landing punches with both hands to back Sosa up.

Gonzalez dropped the former light flyweight world champion with a right hand in the second round before a combination floored Sosa for a second time. Sosa got up again but moments later, Gonzalez unloaded a barrage of punches that sent him down for a final time and the referee Raul Caiz Sr. called off the bout at 2:37 of the round.