Haye-Fury postponed

21/09/2013 18:34

David Haye (26-2)  has been forced to postpone his eagerly-awaited heavyweight clash with Tyson Fury (21-0) after suffering an injury.

Haye picked up a deep cut in training on Friday and the fight, scheduled for Manchester Arena on Saturday 28 September, has had to be put on hold.

He was training with sparring partner Filip Hrgovic - a 6ft 6" Croatian - when he was cut, and the wound required six stitches.

Haye said: "Gutted isn't even the word.

"Mentally, I'm on the floor at the moment. I'm devastated most of all for my loyal fans, my family and my team, as well as Tyson Fury and his team.

"I know injuries and cuts are part and parcel of our sport, but this doesn't change the feeling of disappointment and sadness I'm experiencing right now.

"To everyone who has bought tickets, booked hotels, and followed this fight since it was announced, there is absolutely nothing I can do except apologise from the very bottom of my heart.

"Even when everything seems to be right on track, sometimes life throws you a curveball. I will somehow have to try and make the best of this horrible situation. But, right now, I'm in bits about what has happened."

The 32-year-old Haye, a former two-weight world champion, was a big favourite to win against Fury, the former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion.

Haye defeated Nikolay Valuev to win the WBA title in 2009 before surrendering the belt to Wladimir Klitschko when they fought in Hamburg two years later.

Haye, who saw off long-time British rival Dereck Chisora in his last outing in July 2012, was due to fight Manuel Charr in June - but that clash was shelved when Haye suffered a hand injury in the build-up.

Fury's last outing had been in April when he fought he stopped the former world Cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham in the seventh round at Madison Square Garden.

A statement from Hayemaker Boxing read: "The cut above his left eyebrow occurred in round two of sparring on Friday night (September 19) and required six stitches by a plastic surgeon. Because of the gravity of the cut, these stitches will now remain in place for five to seven days.

"Unfortunately, after being properly assessed, Haye was left with no choice but to postpone his fight with Fury, scheduled for next Saturday night in Manchester. He is currently waiting on further medical assessment to determine the extent of the postponement."