Miguel Cotto to fight Yoshihiro Kamegai for vacant WBO light Middleweight title on August 26
Four-weight world champion Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) will fight Yoshihiro Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs) in a scheduled 12-round bout for the vacant WBO light Middleweight title on August 26 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, USA.
Cotto, 36, who has previously won world titles at light welterweight, welterweight, light middleweight and middleweight, faces the Japanese fighter for the 154-pound title vacated by Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, who has now moved up to middleweight for a mega-fight with Gennady Golovkin in September.
"I'm very excited to be back and showcase a high level fight for the fans," said Cotto. "Kamegai is a great, tough fighter, but I will be ready for him and to capture the world title. I can't wait to start training for this fight and get back in the ring on August 26."
The Puerto Rican has not fought since losing on points to Canelo in November 2015.
Kamegai, 34, is an all-action fighter and is coming off a stoppage win over Jesus Soto Karass last September, but enters his first world title fight as a underdog.
"I fully understand who I am going to be in the ring against, but Cotto's record and history won't matter once we are toe-to-toe," said Kamegai. "I am looking forward to giving fans the kind of aggressive fight that they have seen from me before and having my arm raised in victory."