Garcia wins a war

28/04/2013 07:46

WBA and WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (26-0) came through 12 hard fought rounds to outpoint Zab Judah (42-8) by unanimous decision to retain his titles on Saturday night at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York.

The final judges scores were 115-112, 114-112 and 116-111.

Garcia sent Judah to the canvas in the 8th with a right hand and looked on course for a stoppage victory before a late rally in the 9th and 10th from the veteran as Garcia seemed to run out of gas and looked uncomfortable in taking Judah's left hand power shots.

A deliberate pace in the first few rounds eventually gave way to a potent two-fisted attack from Garcia, who had Judah hurt in rounds 5 and 6.

Judah showed plenty of fighting heart, scoring with left hands even when he was hurt, but left himself open too many times as he took a beating going into the second half of the fight.

Garcia kept the fight in his favour, fending off Judah's pot shots.  Judah suffered a big cut under his left eye after getting knocked down midway through the 8th as Garcia repeatedly scored upstairs.

Judah was slow to get off his stool in the 9th but refused to wilt. Garcia continued with the onslaught, but was forced to work in every exchange.

A dramatic turn of events came in the 10th, when Judah gained a second wind in a big way while Garcia appeared to tire,  scoring with straight shots upstairs. The rally revitalized Judah while Garcia fought cautiously, working his jab as he attempted to avoid any more punishment.

After an unintentional timeout caused by Judah's shoelace coming untied, it was Judah who controlled the action in the final moments of the 11th, scoring with a left hand followed by a combination rocked Garcia. Adding insult to injury Garcia was later cut on the forehead, caused by a accidential head-butt.

Garcia suffered an additional cut on his forehead after nother clash of heads however Garcia now appeared comfortable in his role as boxer. Judah scored with left hands, but was momentarlyfrozen by a right hand from the defending champion. Garcia sought a knockout finish, connecting with overhand rights and left hooks in the closing seconds of the bout.

Garcia said "He's crafty veteran with power, we knew that. But I am a true champion. I've got to fight through the storm in order to be a true champion and I proved that."

On the chief support, WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin (29-0) defeated Fernando Guerrero (25-2) by a 7th round knockout.

Quillin dominated the fight from the start, knocking Guerrero down twice in the 2nd with two booming rights. Then in the 7th, a right sent Guerrero spawling across the ring and down. After Quillin dropped him for the fourth time with a left hook, the referee Harvey Dock stopped the contest.